Telephone: 01983 241494

                                               Email : 

people matter logo Telephone email

Independent and Impartial Information and Support with your Education Health and Care Plan Journey

People Matter IW alongside the Special Education Needs and Disability Information Advice and Support Service ( SENDIASS) have a team of specially trained Independent Support Practitioners who are able to offer Parents and Young people with *Special Education Needs and Disabilities (SEND) independent and impartional information and support. The service is mostly aimed at those who are undergoing the Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) assessment and planning process - both new and those who are moving over from a statement.


Independent Support Service

Independent Supporters are a team of friendly, experienced individuals who are able to work with you whilst you are going through the Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) assessment and planning process. All our Independent Supporters have recieved lots of training and have plenty of knowledge on the new Special Education Needs and Disability system.

Most importantly, they are independent and can provide you with impartial information and support on the EHCP. Independent Supporters can provide support which is tailored to you and the needs of your family and they work on behalf of you!

>>What are Independent Supporters?

>>What can an Independent Supporter help me with?

An Independent Supporter can work with you to support you through the EHCP assessment and planning process. This can be done talking face-to-face, over the telephone or email. SOme things they will be able to help you with include:


>>Help filling in your 'Our Story/My Story' paperwork.

>>Provide inofrmation on Personal Budgets.

>>Help you to understand the EHCP process.

>>Act as a named contact for you whilst you are going through the EHCP journey and help you to gather any information you might need for you EHCP.

>>Support you to get additional help when you have an issue which our Independent Support team are unable to help you with (this is known as 'signposting').

The Independent Support Programme on the Isle of Wight is being delivered by People Matter IW, which is an independent voluntary sector organisation outside of the local authority and the Special Education Needs and Disability Information Advice and Support Servce ( formerly Parent Partnership). You have the choice as to who you get Independent Support from. Both organisations have had the same training in Independent Support.


Whilst we work on behalf of you, it is important that we work in partnership with other people who support you too.


The Independent Support Service has been developed in partnership with the Isle of Wight local authority,  Parents Voice IW and the SEND information, advice and support service (IW Parent Partnership) to make sure we offer a quality service to parent/carers and young people in a reasonable amount of time.

Although we are working together, all the information you give to the Independent Support Programme will remail confidential and will not be shared with anybody without your permission, unless there are safeguarding concerns.

>>How do Independent Supporters work with the local authority and other people who might be involved in my child's EHCP journey?

>>Isn't this type of support already offered by SENDIASS?

Yes, SENDIASS also offer this type of support which is why we are working very closely with them.

However, the new SEN arrangements from September 2014 will require local authorities/Parent Partnerships to provide broader information, advice and support across the education, health and socail care services. The truth is that the level of support on offer for families is not enough to meet the need, and the Independent Support Programme is offered as additional support and will help to address the shortfall in suport for families over the next few years.

There are also areas we won't be able to help you in, but the SEND information service (Parent Partnership) can.

It is hoped that by working together we can make your whole journey easier.

>>How do I ask for Independent Support with People Matter IW?

If you would like support information from one of our team, you can request this by telephoning or emailing us directly. Our contact details are:

Telephone: 01983 823898


Visit/Post: Isle Help Centre, High Street, Newport, PO30 1UD


To download an Independent Supporters Leaflet, please CLICK HERE.


To download an Independent Suport Parent/Carer Service Request Form, please CLICK HERE.


To download an Independent Support Young Person Request Form, please CLICK HERE.


CLick here to read the Memorandum of Understanding and the Referral Protocol

IS Logo_RGB IS programme poster ISimage
  • Do you have a general question or query about the new Education Health and Care Plan Process?

  • Would you like someone to work with you through your "Our Story" document?


Come Along to our weekly Independent Support Pop-In Session. Every Friday between 10am and 12.00pm. At the Isle Help Hub ( Opposite County Hall) High Street Newport.


No need to book an appointment just come along and we will be happy to see you!

Weekly SEND Pop-In Sessions